Part-time Progress OpenEdge Database Administrator
Our client is a leader in ultrahigh-pressure process solutions recognized globally. With over 60 years of experience our client is helping its partners to achieve their vision through solving their challenging manufacturing needs. The company is leading the change in intelligent manufacturing by utilizing the power of IoT and advanced analytics to build data-driven process solutions.
Be a part of a unique group of people who not only love what they do, but love smart, efficient technology. You will be working with talented individuals who have purpose, creativity and passion, who are dedicated to service excellence, trust, and quality and build lasting partnerships.
Currently we are looking for a part-time Progress OpenEdge Database Administrator to join our team.
What we are looking for:
As a Progress OpenEdge Database Administrator you will be a business-facing expert providing hands-on operational database services, including design, development, implementation, and support. In your role as production DBA and resident data expert, you will serve as a communicator and mentor for both business and technical groups in terms of how data is classified, where it is located, and how to turn data into information.
You have a service-oriented mentality and a high sense of ownership for systems and solutions. You have the ability to articulate problems so everyone can understand the issue. You prefer to work in a team environment, but have experience working independently to manage databases and data environments.
You have experience owning, managing, tracking, fulfilling, and resolving database related incidents and requests in alignment with Service Level Agreements (SLAs). You are comfortable communicating with technology customers to keep them updated with the status of their requests. You are able to initiate and perform changes on production systems, and proactively escalate any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
You have hands-on experience with all aspects of daily database support and maintenance: reviewing service reports (e.g. database backups, maintenance, monitoring), ensuring service-related issues are identified and resolved within SLAs, and responding to database related alerts and escalations.
You’re a strong communicator and a diligent data detective. You enjoy working face-to-face with the organization, and collaborating directly with multiple departments to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems. You like to share your knowledge and hash out solutions through team discussion and brainstorming. You are interested in the latest tools and standards, but have also worked with older technology.
- Business-facing production DBA and resident data expert
- Business and technical communicator
- Hands-on operational DBA, providing design, development, implementation, and support
- Hands-on production support manager, owning, managing, tracking, fulfilling, and resolving database related incidents and requests within SLAs
- STRONG communication skills (i.e. writing, documenting, speaking, presenting)
- STRONG problem investigation and resolution skills
- Excellent team player
- Minimum 10 years of experience as a Progress OpenEdge DBA and developer
- Minimum 5 years managing large-scale Progress OpenEdge Transactional Replication environment
- Minimum 2 years of management / lead experience, providing database production support within SLAs
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Minimum 2 years of experience with backups, restores, and recovery models
- Minimum 2 years of experience implementing operational automation using scripts
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for Progress OpenEdge
- Knowledge of index strategies and index management
- Experience working with manufacturing ERP systems (previous experience working with QAD would be considered an advantage)
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix Servers, including Active Directory, memory, and disk configurations
- Understanding of data modeling concepts and best practices
- MUST have experience in large-scale enterprise database environments
- Environments with more than 50 Progress OpenEdge Instances
- Environments with databases larger than 1TB
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related, or equivalent experience
- Involvement with Progress OpenEdge Community, active in forums / newsgroups
- Progress OpenEdge Administrator Training
Does this sound like you? Contact us today and tell us about your background.
Apply by sending us your CV at email@example.com. If available, please include links to your blog or published articles. Thank you for your consideration!
What we offer:
- Competitive remuneration
- Flexible working hours (10-30h per month)
- Work from anywhere
- Working on challenging projects that shape the future of manufacturing
- Be part of a motivated team
- International team environment with knowledge-sharing culture